The JCC/HVCC will be offering a lifeguard training course for new or expired lifeguards in December 2013. If you are or know someone who would be interested in the course, please forward this information along.
This course will prepare participants to be able to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel take over. Upon successful completion of the course and testing, participants will receive an American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED, which is valid for 2 years (in New York State, CPR certifications are only accepted for one year after course completion date, regardless of certificate validity).
The course session dates will be as follows:
- Precourse Session: 12/20/13, 3:00pm – 6:00pm
- Course Session: 12/21/13, 12/22/13, 12/28/13, 9:00am – 7:00pm
The cost for this course will be $300 for HVCC members and $350 for non-members. To register please call the HVCC at 1-845-471-0430 during business hours.
To be elligibile to take the lifeguarding course, lifeguard candidates must meet the following prerequisites:
- Must be 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of this course.
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance under water. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
The course flyer can be downloaded at http://jccswim.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Lifeguarding-Flyer-Winter-2013.pdf.
Snappers Swim Team